THE TREND FOR MEN’S FACIAL HAIR LEADS TO NEW ROUTINES AND PRODUCT USAGE
ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY IN MEN’S TOILETRIES
The US Men’s grooming market is valued at $5.5 billion. Globally, the men’s grooming market has evolved from being a relatively undeveloped category in beauty and personal care to having doubled its size in 10 years, according to Euromonitor. Men are becoming more sophisticated in their grooming habits and have tapped into the ever growing product offerings that are now becoming available to them, which has prompted more interest in male specific products rather than unisex products.
Men’s Toiletries Will Grow Faster than Men’s Shaving Between 2012 and 2017
KEY MARKET TRENDS IMPACTING NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- Increased penetration of category cross-overs such as skin care products with anti-aging and sun protection benefits, as well as anti-dandruff products with anti-hair loss properties
- Growth in men’s hair care developments that address specific concerns from hair loss, thinning of hair and scalp-oriented shampoos and treatments, to sensitive scalp
- Men’s skin care is adopting a holistic approach, where treating the skin has extended beyond combating wrinkles to improve the overall skin complexion including dark spot correctors and products to treat the eye area, as well as anti-aging formulas, night creams and serums
- Cleansing and moisturizing continue to be the main expectations men have when it comes to facial skincare according to Mintel GNPD
- Increasing number of natural and organic skin care brands specifically designed for men
- Increased interest in men’s multifunctional products led by their preference for “fast and effective problem-solvers”
- Men’s hair styling sees the revival of the slicked back undercut, influenced by the styles of the early 20th Century, and a modern update on the men’s pompadour hairstyle borrows from the likes of Elvis but in a subtle way
HAIR LOSS, THINNING HAIR, SCALP CARE
- Folistim 2 (Extract blend): Stimulates the hair follicles and consequently accelerates hair growth.
- Bio-Dandrax Plex (Extract blend): Controls dandruff, conditions and strengthens the hair.
IMPROVED SKIN HYDRATION AND SMOOTHING
- Ginseng and Ginkgo Biloba Cucumber (Holistically balanced botanical extracts): Natural solutions, ideal for dry skin and after shaving products
- Relipidium™ (INCI: Hydrolyzed yeast protein, butylene glycol): Restores barrier function and provides long-lasting moisturization.
OVERALL SKIN COMPLEXION:
- Shadownyl™ (INCI: INCI: Water, Algae Extract, Hexylene Glycol, Capryl Glycol, Xanthan Gum). Addresses dark under-eye circles and reduces wrinkles.
- Beta-Hydroxyde™ ACSD (INCI: Salicylic Acid (and) Acacia Senegal Gum). This product has exfoliating activity and visibly refines pore size.
- Neurobiox™ (INCI: Water, Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Achillea Millfolum extract, Xanthan Gum). Designed to erase skin irregularities, wrinkles, large pores and dark spots.
- MAT-XS™ Clinical ( INCI: Water, Butylene Glycol, Pentylene glycol, Xanthan Gum, Sarcosine): Visibly reduces the signs of oily skin to deliver oil control benefits.
- BRB SG 116 ( INCI: Cyclopentasiloxane (and) Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer): a cross-linked silicone elastomer gel dispersed in cyclopentasiloxane that provides luxurious feel as well as improving formula stability by acting as a thickening agent.
FORMULATING MEN’S SPECIALIZED HAIR CARE PRODUCTS
SCALP CARE, ANTI-HAIR LOSS:
- Tricholastyl™ (GLYCERIN (AND) WATER (AND) SORBITOL (AND) PTEROCARPUS MARSUPIUM BARK EXTRACT (AND) DISODIUM SUCCINATE (AND GLUTAMIC ACID): Anti-hair loss preventive activity, scalp care and prevention of thinning hair.
- Sanicapyl™ (INCI: Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate (and) Butylene Glycol (and) Piper Nigrum Fruit (and) Inga Alba Bark Extract) Designed to impart scalp treatment beyond anti-dandruff. It reduces inflammation and cellular damage. It has also been shown to reduce dandruff and prevent scalp oiliness.
- Asebiol™ (INCI: Water (and) Pyridoxine HCL (and) Niacinamide (and) Glycerin (and) Panthenol (and) Hydrolyzed Yeast protein (and) Allantoin (and) Biotin.) Prevents excess sebum production, and visibly reduces the appearance of oiliness.
- Puricare™ ( INCI: Water (and) Glycerin (and) Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Extract) Prevents damages caused by pollution and environmental stress while increasing hair smoothness.
- BRB DM 55 ( INCI: Dimethicone) Allows for improved spreadability, with a soft silky feel and no build-up.
- Ultra Hold Styling Gel with Luviset Clear AT2
- Men’s Mattifying Lotion with MAT XS Clinical
- Men’s Eye-conic Dark Circle Treatment with Shadownyl
- Flex Style Texturizing Paste with Luviset® Clear AT2
- 5-in-1 All Purpose Men’s Wash with Miracare® LSC-346
- Intense Purifying Toner with MAT XS Clinical
- Silicone-Free Detoxifying Shampoo