Do You Dry Shampoo?
Dry Shampoos continue to crash the daily shampoo-and-repeat party. According to Mintel, regular shampoo usage has seen a slight decline, as 85% (2016) of those polled indicated they wash their hair less, compared to 89% just a year earlier (2015). In addition to just washing their hair less frequently, consumers are purchasing more dry shampoos as indicated, with usage increasing by 4% in 2016(2). Dry shampoos’ slow rise to fame is attributed to an adjustment in their marketing message. Starting in 2006, dry shampoos focused on ease of use and UV protection. Now they are positioned as time savers, styling aids and tout free-from claims.
Don’t expect this rise to fame to slow down anytime soon. As the world continues to deal with water scarcity, dry shampoos address this global concern.
Also, dry shampoos are perfectly positioned to go after the growing ethnic hair care market.
Ingredients for Dry Shampoo Formulas
AEROSIL® R 812 S – INCI: Silica Silylate
- Free flow aide in powder coatings
- Effective rheology control in complex liquid systems
Healthy Shine Lilac – INCI: syringa vulgaris (Lilac) leaf cell extract
- Reduces inflammation at the level of the hair bulb and scalp, thus offering a soothing effect and reducing irritation of the scalp and roots.
- Reduces oxidation and increases energy production at the level of the hair bulb. Reduces the formation of free radicals, including after exposure to UVB.
- Ideal for shampoo bars, hair masks, serums, balms, and any other hair care product designed to strengthen and repair damaged hair and scalp.
EtHAIReal Peppermint – INCI: mentha piperita (Peppermint) leaf cell extract
- Reduces excessive production of oily substances (sebum and lipids) by the hair bulbs and scalp.
- Calming reduces irritation by increasing the tolerance threshold of the hair bulbs and scalp.
- Decreases general cell oxidation reduces the formation of free radicals in hair bulb and scalp cells.
- Makes hair lighter, for longer.
Microzest 25 Bamboo and Coconut – (Bamboo) INCI: Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Extract
(Coconut) INCI: Cocos Nucifera Shell Powder
- The bamboo is composed of more than 70% of organic silica that is well know to absorb the sebum at higher rates than the benchmarks.
- The coconut is brown in color, which prevents white residue on dark hair.
Blanova DS 911 – INCI: Zeolites
- Effective for a broad range of adsorption applications
- Best for applications with a complex mix of odors, or when the odors have not been individually identified
DEHYQUART A-CA – INCI: Cetrimonium Chloride
- A vegetable-based conditioning agent
- Easy blending liquid
Isopropyl Myristate – INCI: Isopropyl Myristate
- Clear, colorless, almost odorless oil
D-Panthenol 50-P – INCI: Panthenol and Propylene Glycol
- Provides long-lasting moisture and improves luster and sheen
- Prevents hair damage and thickens hair
Nutrilan Keratin W PP – INCI: Hydrolyzed Keratin
- Rebuilds tensile strength returns elasticity and reduces breakage
- Revitalizes the hair’s natural protective layer
Vitamin E Acetate Care – INCI: Tocopheryl Acetate
- Protects against free radicals
- Improves elasticity
Bronidox 1160 – INCI: Phenoxyethanol
- A preservative that allows color and odor stable product.
- “Category Insight: Shower & Bath Products.” Mintel. N.p., Feb. 2016. Web. 21 Sept. 2016.
- “Category Insight: Shampoo & Conditioner.” Mintel. N.p., May 2016. Web. 21 Sept. 2016.
- Mohiuddin, Oru. “Mass and Efficacy: Key Growth Drivers in Hair Care – Part I.” Euromonitor. N.p., 30 June 2015. Web. 21 Sept. 2016.