MARKET DRIVERS AND TRENDS
Sustainability, convenience, efficacy and going beyond the basic functions of cleaning to provide extra caring for the hands, clothes and surfaces are key trends impacting consumer demand and new product development in the H&IC market. Consumers are more informed than ever on the value vs. performance of their products and seek out brands that deliver all the above.
OPPORTUNITY IN THE FASTEST GROWING US HOME CARE MARKET SEGMENTS
Hard Surface Cleaning
Due to busy lifestyles, cleaning around the house has become more a practice of spot cleaning high traffic areas, such as the kitchen and bathroom. With a growth of 17.5%, it is seen that wipes are regarded as the go-to solution for this type of cleaning, often seen as less wasteful than spray and towel cleaning. As all-purpose household cleaners accounted for 43% of new product launches in NA, we see they suit the quick, all-in-one solution throughout the house; however, there is the expectation that they leave a variety of surfaces streak and spot-free with ease. Lastly, the desire for more time between re-cleaning high traffic are when using either all-purpose or wipe applications is high. Both categories are driven by the increased demand for convenient, easy to use products.
“Convenience” is delivering new user experiences through improved product functionality, added benefits and creative design
Automatic dishwash tablets are expected to surpass liquid and gel formats. In the hand dishwash category, the opportunity is for added-value features such as sensory benefits, antibacterial properties and conditioning effects. Additionally, hand dish soap with increased performance over benchmarks invites heightened desire from consumers balancing the more for less mindset and those conscious of water usage per load, as it’s efficiency allows more dishes to be cleaned with less product, faster, using less water wasted.
Again, water conservation will continue to shape new product development in the laundry category, driving growth of concentrated liquid detergents and tablets, high-efficiency developments and cold water load improvements; specifically using products that inhibit dye transfer allowing for larger mixed loads, ultimately allowinf for less energy and water usage. While fabric care offers market opportunity for odor control and fabric conditioners.
FOCUS ON THE ENVIRONMENTAL ASPECTS OF SUSTAINABILITY
Consumers are more in tune to the fact that eco-responsibility is increasingly important, not only personally but at multiple levels of awareness and are increasingly demanding of transparency from the brands they use. Green and natural in home care focuses on the environmental factor of sustainability as protecting our natural resources, this continues to be the main driver behind the growth of natural household care products.
Despite the fact that green remains relatively niche in the home care market as compared to the beauty care market, natural home care products are starting to move into the mainstream due to concerns of exposure to harsh chemicals, and continue to evolve in terms of advanced formulations, improved standards of efficacy and costs. However, consumer skepticism still exists about the effectiveness of natural home care products vs. traditional formulations. As a result, touting the environmental aspects of the products is only beneficial to your brand if they are supported by proven efficacy and safety profiles.
Sources: Kline & Co., Mintel GNPD, ©Euromonitor 2016
FORMULATION SOLUTIONS TO MEET MARKET TRENDS
FIND CERTIFIED AND NATURAL (NON-CERTIFIED) INGREDIENTS IN OUR WEBSITE:
In the top, right-hand side menu, you can select ingredients by certification standard or by green attribute.
FORMULATING HIGH PERFORMANCE, LOW-TEMPERATURE SUSTAINABLE LAUNDRY DETERGENTS
- Higher level of washing performance: Study proved +70% washing performance boost with Lavergy® Pro 104 LS
- Superior low-temperature performance, as low as 15°C
- Enhanced stain removal, especially beneficial on egg, blood, and milk-containing stains
- Improved dose effectiveness
FORMULATING CONCENTRATED SYSTEMS
- Increases performance in both Laundry and Hand Dish applications with reduced use of other surfactants and solids in formulation.
- Prevents redeposition of soils in wash and highly effective in cold water, ensuring clean clothes with less energy use.
DELIVERING SUPERIOR CLEANING POWER + SUSTAINABILITY PROFILE
REWOQUAT® CQ 100 G – For Solvent-Free degreasing
- Its remarkable cleaning power against organic soil means that it can often replace solvents or a solvent-based cleaner.
- Performance in hard water and cold temperature
- Phosphate alternative
Tegotens® SD 100 – For concentrated dishwash, unit-dose products
- Low foaming surfactant for automatic dish wash
- Reduce spotting, and that does not leave a bitter taste in dish wash applications as standard non-ionics do.
- 100% vegetable-based material
Tego® Sorb A 30 – For malodor removal
- Fast acting, long-lasting odor absorber, especially effective to remove unpleasant odors like cigarette smoke, sweat, garbage, pet smell, onion and garlic.
Tinopal® CBS-X – For fluorescent whitening
- Absorbs UV-light and re-emits it as visible blue fluorescence light, thereby increasing the whiteness of a substrate
- Improves the cleaning efficiency in the laundry process
- Prevents greening after multiple washing cycles
Dehypon GRA – Phosphate alternative, DfE
- Low foaming surfactant in granular form, offering the cleaning and spotting performance consumers associate with a traditional phosphate containing product
- Excellent rinse aid performance in multifunctional automatic dish detergent.
- Significant better rinse aid performance on porcelain, glass and cutlery when compared to standard low foaming products
- Rinse aid performance and found reduced spotting compared to a 3 in 1 benchmark product
- Readily biodegradable, DfE
Glucopon 420 UP – For superior cleaning power, DfE
- An alkyl polyglycoside surfactant that provides excellent detergency and processing benefits
- Made from renewable raw materials, very mild and readily biodegradable, DfE
- Non-streaking on glossy surfaces and non-corrosive to synthetic surfaces
- Superior detergency compared to NPE or LAE
- No solvent required for premium performance
- No gel phase allows rapid incorporation into water
- Components all on EPA Inert List. Overall better choice for the environment
FORMULATING FOR THE GROWING FABRIC SOFTENERS MARKET
- 86% active, biodegradable
- Outstanding softening properties. Dispersions up to 20% can be readily prepared at ambient conditions. Imparts good anti static properties to cotton and synthetic fabrics.
CARING FOR THE HANDS
- Vegetable-based system with excellent mildness and moisturizing properties. Skin friendly and nitrogen free.
FORMULATING MULTI-FUNCTIONAL CLEANERS
- Multifunctional additive for spot, streak free cleaning.
- Speeds up the drying effect
- Levels fine scratches on surfaces
- Gloss and extra shine after cleaning
- Has been evaluated for its effect on the environment and human health.
- Utilizes ingredients that are considered the safest in their class.
- Is safer without sacrificing quality or performance
FORMULATING EFFECTIVE SPRAY APPLICATIONS WITH LONG LASTING BENEFITS
- Self-cleaning effect: Treated surfaces result in a nanostructured layer where the adhesion of dust and dirt is reduced to a minimum. Water is repelled from the surface and become dirt repellent and self cleaning when subjected to rain or rinsing with plain water
- Improved Benchmark Dishwash (D)
- Improved Benchmark Dishwash (P)
- 4X HE Unit Dose Laundry
- All Purpose Cleaner with Rewocare® 755
- “Easier Next Time” Bathroom Cleaner with Rewocare® 755
- Car Polish with Tegotop® 105
- Carpet Cleaner with Odor Removal featuring Tego® Sorb A 30
- Drainage gel with malodor absorber – Tego® Sorb A 30
- Kitchen Cleaning Spray with Tegotens SD 100
- Leather Care Gel with Rewoderm® LI S 80
- Manual Dishwashing Gel with Rewoderm® LI S 80