Men’s Toiletries will grow 27.3% in the US through 2020, but what do men say about grooming?
Our marketing team has kept track of the evolution of the men’s grooming market; yet, we wanted to learn more about true male consumer attitudes towards grooming and influencers, so we thought, why not asking them directly?
This consumer fieldwork was very revealing in providing us with a broader context about male consumer reactions, product preferences and perceptions. To make your job easier, we are presenting you with an overview of the key findings about purchasing behavior and consumer profiles for actionable product-development-building insights.
Watch “What Men Want”, and let yourself be surprised by some of their answers!
Looking for starting point formulations for Men’s Grooming? Say no more, we have them all. Click here
HOW TO MARKET TO MEN?
They are adopting a more sophisticated grooming regimenand are motivated to try new products with top-notch ingredients. The opportunity is in addressing their male-specific beauty concerns while offering true grooming innovations. Packing several perks in one single item goes a long way for these men. Boomerang Business showcased 4-in-1 skin care products in their Top Ten Grooming Innovations. They were highlighted for their skin hydrating, calming of redness post-shave, fighting fine lines, and absorbing excess oil benefits.
These consumers are certainly a viable target for health-oriented differentiated innovations such as anti-residue rinse (which is also linked to the growing anti-pollution trend), dry shampoo, cleansing conditioners, and products for yogis and active health seekers.
Men’s quest for simplicity drives the demand for multi-benefit products to maintain an easy routine, as well as new developments in product categories the majority of them are already familiar with and are most likely to adopt, such as facial cleansers. According to Euromonitor, as male consumers tend to be long-term thinkers and remain low volume in their consumption, focusing on quality over quantity would be more fruitful for brands offering essentials.
We agree with this, and also would like to suggest that outside of just essentials, there is an immense opportunity to educate this male group about more specialized offerings like face exfoliants and new and easy-to-use cleansing concepts such as deep-pore cleansing sticks, powder skin cleansers, shower sheets, and no-rinse body cleansing foams. On the other hand, hair styling is an untapped opportunity for this group, remember, they want it but either doesn’t know what’s available, or the products found on the market don’t resonate with their mindset.
Baby Boomers and Generation Xers remain the highest earners among all consumer groups. Their grooming routines have changed significantly as they become more aware of new product alternatives and are willing to adopt them.
Today’s male consumers, and especially baby boomers are venturing into the luxury sphere. This has resulted in a faster growth rate for male-specific premium beauty products compared to women (although women’s continue to dominate in terms of absolute market size). The opportunity is within skin care. The US will be the third biggest contributor to growth, adding around US$70 million by 2019
Sources: Schwarzkopf, © Euromonitor International, Los Angeles Times, Mintel GNPD, Boomerang Business, Premium Beauty News
WE CAN HELP – FORMULATION SOLUTIONS
BEARD CARE: STYLING & CONTROL, NOURISHING OF FACIAL HAIR AND SKIN
- Marula, Baobab and Mongongo Oils – Beard nourishing and textures
- Lamesoft® OD (INCI: Blend) Unique skin sensory behavior, for sensitive skin
- Versagel SQ (INCI: Blend) Natural gelled squalane, binds moisture, absorbs quickly
HAIR LOSS, THINNING HAIR, SCALP CARE
- EtHAIReal Peppermint (INCI: Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Cell Extract) Reduces production of sebum and lipids by the hair bulbs and scalp delivers hair anti-pollution benefits
- Folistim 2 (Extract blend): Stimulates the hair follicles and consequently accelerates hair growth.
- Bio-Dandrax Plex (Extract blend): Controls dandruff, conditions and strengthens the hair.
- Sanicapyl™ (INCI: Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate (and) Butylene Glycol (and) Piper Nigrum Fruit (and) Inga Alba Bark Extract) Designed to impart scalp treatment beyond anti-dandruff. It reduces inflammation and cellular damage. It has also been shown to reduce dandruff and prevent scalp oiliness.
- Trichogen VEG (INCI: Blend): Aid in the decrease of hair loss and stimulation of hair growth, associated with Traditional Chinese Medicine
OVERALL SKIN COMPLEXION, HYDRATION, ANTI-AGING:
- Relipidium™ (INCI: Hydrolyzed yeast protein, butylene glycol): Restores barrier function and provides long-lasting moisturization.
- Shadownyl™ (INCI: Water, Algae Extract, Hexylene Glycol, Capryl Glycol, Xanthan Gum). Addresses dark under-eye circles and reduces wrinkles.
- Ginseng and Ginkgo Biloba Cucumber (Holistically balanced botanical extracts): Natural solutions, ideal for dry skin and after shaving products
- Speci’Men™ (INCI: Glycerin, Water, Hydrolyzed Adansonia Digitata Extract) Reduces the accumulation of nonperforming versican, contributing specifically to the health of men’s skin
- Versagel S 1000 T (INCI: Blend) Waterproofing for sunscreen products
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid (INCI: Melia Azadirachta Leaf Extract) Boosts the natural level of vitamins E & C within the cell, protecting from free radical damage and aging
- FucoReverse™ Anti-aging, stimulation of collagen synthesis, rejuvenation of fibroblasts
- MAT-XS™ Clinical ( INCI: Water, Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Sarcosine): Visibly reduces the signs of oily skin to deliver oil control benefits.
- Luviset® Clear AT 3 (INCI: VP/Methacrylamide/Vinyl Imidazole Copolymer) Thermal protection, resistance to high humidity
TEXTURES, SENSORIAL EFFECTS:
- Cetiol® Ultimate (INCI: Undecane, Tridecane): Natural sensory solution, non-greasy, fast absorbance, light skin feel
- Cetiol RLF (INCI: Caprylyl Caprylate/Caprate) Naturally based, specially designed for sensitive skin applications
- Cutina PES (INCI: Pentaerythrityl Distearate) Non-waxy and caring skin feel