Splish Splash – We think it’s time for a Bath
Although Bath & Shower is a mature market segment, bath products have seen a revival as a means to relieve stress and indulge in “me-time”. There are a few things attributing to this new interest:
- Increased availability across all buying channels as brick and mortar visits have decreased with COVID-19
- Growing pressure from Direct-to-Consumer brands capturing those with convenience and novelty motivators
- Approachable price points, broadening the consumer adoption
- Increased brand share mix, with more than half being niche brands
Main Motivator for Taking a Bath – Chill
3 out of 4 Americans report having stress at least once over a 30-day period, according to the American Psychological Association. This number has manifested to increased stresses, about increased things, more consistently in the year 2020, and is higher the younger the generation.
Those who reported increasing their use of Bath Products in 2018 vs 2017 (create visual)
- 72% to relax
- 51% for health benefits like stress relief & sleep
Consumers habits shift to incorporate routines that help them feel better mentally and physically.
Sensorial Engagement has become an invaluable currency to people today, navigating so many mental stimulants. Make them feel something about your bath product by incorporating a combination of ways to ignite the senses, through:
Unwind is the name of the game. People are de-stressing in many ways; attract them through aromatherapy, soothing extracts, wellness aligned ingredients and rituals. Include wellness ingredients known for stress reduction such as CBD.
Consumers continue to demand products that accentuate the bathing experience, which help guide them in the ritual of self-care. Placing more value on skin care, consider incorporating skin care trends into dual-bath products such as serums as bath drops or combination bath oil/body mist for dewy skin.
Bath Bombs have increasingly become more popular due to their instagrammable ability. Engage by incorporating glitter, sparkles, colors, transitions, new formats and even surprises! Some children’s brands have toys that are revealed, and one women’s luxury brand has jewelry.
Like Rubber Ducky, Become the Go-To Bath Must Have
Go beyond what is expected in Bath Additives to create value, excitement, and inclusivity, while delivering a sense of personalized touch appealing to the “for me” mentality.
Multi-functionality is pivotal to being able to relax. Combine familiar benefits from other applications for ease of use, such as:
- Hair softening for easier hair removal
- Slow dissolving, foaming bombs for use in both shower and bath
- Duo Bath Sets (Mommy & Me) Monoi Oil
Go beyond standard cleansing, fragrance and moisturizing, with ingredients that deliver:
- Skin toning and even-out skin tone
- Exfoliation and skin smoothing
- Microbiome-Friendly (good bacteria level)
Diversify offerings to target individuals’ specific needs:
- Women’s intimate hygiene
- Athletes speedy muscle recovery: incorporate ingredients into ice bath concepts to reduce inflammation and increase circulation
- Pain or inflammatory health conditions such as fibromyalgia or arthritis
Formats Leave More to be Desired
Granules/Salts still hold the highest number of launched formats. Leaving opportunity for newer novel formats. Consider concepts that incorporate textures or formats such as:
Transparency, Safety and Responsibility Win in Claims
With a rise in free-from claims due to the concerns of reactions with the skin, and overall safety, promoting your claim of “suitability for sensitive skin” attracts consumers. Try incorporating Skinasensyl, Apple or cotton cells. Align with Clean Beauty Trends, and highlight how you are protecting people, resources, and the environment.
Top Growing Claims July 2018-July 2020
- Mineral Oil/Petroleum Free (+600%)
- Vitamin/Mineral Fortified (+600%)
- Ethical – Sustainable (Habitat/Resources) (+300%)
- Sulphate/Sulfate Free (+166.7%)
- Aromatherapy (+162.5%)
When I Dip, You Dip, We Dip
Bath Additives was the fastest-growing Bath & Shower subcategory, rising by 12 percentage points in 2019 vs 2015, and had the strongest growth in 2019. Still 2020 proved to be a growth factor all on its own, and that growth is forecasted to be sustained through 2024. So now is the time to dip back-in!
Take Inspiration from Other Geographies and Food & Drink
Ingredients to Get you Started
To Develop Unique Textures: Beauté by Roquette® ST 012, Beauté by Roquette® DS 112, Beauté by Roquette® ST 118, Beauté by Roquette® ST 720, Hydagen® 558 P, Rheocare® XGN, Rheocare® HSP 1180, Cetiol® Ultimate